Thursday, October 12, 2006

Brown Sugar

My friend in Mumbai, (she’s also Nigerian) sent her Indian driver to buy her some brown sugar (she had just returned from shopping for groceries and realized she forgot to buy some).

Pradeep, looking very uncomfortable said,

“Ma’am, I’m sorry, I don’t know where to get brown sugar from”.


“Just go to ‘____’ (name of neighborhood shop), and get me some”

“Noooo Ma’am, they don’t have brown sugar there, they don’t sell brown sugar”.

Feeling quite irritated knowing she had bought some from the shop in the past, she insisted he should go and get some immediately since she wanted to use it.

“Em, Ma’am, I am very, very sure they wont have brown sugar, do you really need some?” He said peering closely at my friend’s face as if studying her expression.

“See me see wahala and this man o, I send you on an errand and you are asking ‘are you sure?’ You get luck say no be naija I dey, abeg go and get the sugar joo”. Of course Pradeep understood Pidgin English having been around my friend for about a year.

I was particularly curious since he was normally quite helpful and liked to show off as he was from, maybe, a good caste?

“Pradeep”, I entered the conversation, “just go and if you don’t find it in ‘___’ go to other shops and ask”.

“Okay, okay” he said leaving, very reluctantly.

My friend and I were surprised when he came back about thirty minutes later and said that they didn’t have it in the said shop and no-one else around had any. He then said something very weird, “Em, Ma’am, are you testing me?” See me see Indian wahala, we were both very curious now.

Apparently, Brown Sugar is the name of some hard drug; don’t know which and the poor man, having been with her for a while knew there was no such thing going on with my friend. Ha ha ha, it would have been a good mind your language episode! Je pense que oui?!

7 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao.. whaooooo... who would've thought

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Nomad said...

ONB, it was so funny that day, we had such a laugh. Real communication breakdown. I'm sure he was thinking 'goes to show you never know with Nigerians'. They stereotype us quite a bit over there. Some people automatically think we must be Americans; 'nothing good comes out of Africa' et all. I loved India though, I keep telling people, I lost my heart in India.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Azuka said...

Very interesting. Little wonder the guy was reluctant.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger DiAmOnD hawk said...

wow....brown sugar..good one

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

No wonder the guy was confused. I'm interested - where can i get "brown sugar" in london puh-lease? LOL

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger vivek said...

yah! its an indian blogger here!
brown sugar is a hard drug indeed... like coakine and marijuana.
I believe that indian film industry more popularize(or miss popularize) this term than any other media.
it should have hard on the Pradeep's side to decide how to search brown sugar anywhere axcept some illegal markets! ;o)

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger vivek said...

tell me if pradeeps figures it out finally that how to get brown sugar!! ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home